I. Meeting was called to order by Grand Knight Garry Thomas at 7:30 p.m.
II. Lord’s Prayer / O Canada / Open Ode.
III. Roll Call of Officers: Recorder- Rick Moore
Deputy Grand Knight---
Trustee 1st Year-------
Trustee 2nd Year-------
Trustee 3rd Year-------
To be announced
IV. Grand Knights Report: Garry Thomas
· 22nd Annual Crusade for Life Mass –St. Thomas the Apostle Church Waterdown Saturday Oct 7 at 10:00 a.m. – Celebrant:
Most Rev. A.F. Tonnos –Bishop of Hamilton.
· St. Margaret Mary 40th Anniversary celebration October 14 / 15 – Knights requested to park cars and participate in
the celebration activities- food for Good Shepherd Centres.
· Vocations Mass – Cathedral of Christ the King –Sunday September 24 at 3:00 p.m.
· 3rd Annual Pirogi & Kielbasa Dinner –Take Out at Council 7969 St.Francis Xavier Church in Stoney Creek on Thursday
September 28 – 4:00 pm to 7:30 pm
· Fraternal Social Evening –Knights of Columbus Hall 1454 on Queenston Rd – Thursday September 28 at 7:00 p.m.
– free admission.
· Oktoberfest with Walter Ostanek –Dinner and dance at Knights of Columbus Council 7969 St. Franis Xavier Parish –Saturday
October 21 at 6:00 p.m.- tickets $45 per person.
· Letter of thanks for the Grade 8 Religious Studies gift from Karen Cupido of St. Margaret Mary School.
· City of Hamilton reminds Knights of new regulations for signs are required informing the public of any un-inspected food
preparation done in private homes.
· PGK: Mario Salvatore report on Canadian Open Parking operations. Council 9553 had seventeen volunteers park cars at a profit
share of $2,485.87 from 44 time slots. The volunteers were congratulated for their efforts and financial results.
· PGK: Mario Salvatore reported a successful pilgrimage for Rosary Sunday for Vocations on September 17th. Fifty five persons
paid $25 each for $1110. Cost overrun of $265 will be shared 50/50 between CWL and Knights (Knights share is $132.50)
· 1st Annual Mason Messina Dinner and Dance- by Knights of Columbus -Saturday October 28 at Hamilton Convention center.
· The Council 9553 General Meeting Tuesday November 21 has been moved one week later to Tuesday November 28 due to the parish
· Communications between Brother Knights must be improved as illustrated by recent example as a Brother Knight was in the
hospital and no one was informed. Each Knight is requested to supply Email address, anniversary date, spouse’s name,
birthdate and to update phone numbers and address. Brother Peter McAllister will ensure the phone list is up to date and that
deceased members relatives are up to date.
· Each Knight will wear their name tag to all meetings to help new members become easily acquainted with the Brothers.
· Past Grand Knight Bill Sullivan has volunteered to write the Knightline newsletter. Brother Bill requires address label
maker support and student help to stuff envelopes.
V. Financial Secretary Report: Brother Hernando Lopez
· The council has 118 members – 19 of the members dues are in arrears.
· Supreme sent a letter for over due funds- cheque for $207.43 was issued at meeting.
Treasurer’s Report: Brother Salvador Gulles
· General Account - $1604.50
· Charity Account - $2454.57
VI. Deputy Grand Knight: Brother Bruce Coughlan
· Discussed committees and chairs for the Fraternal Year 2006-07. Program Director and Youth Groups (Bruce Coughlan), Recruitment
(Don Benassi), Vocations (Mario Salvatore), Good of Council- sickness, funerals, birthdays etc (Jim Hannam), Retention committee
(Don Stacey, Jim Hannam, Rick Abanador, Fred Koops, Hernando Lopez, Salvador Gulles, Garry Thomas), Rose Sunday (Garry Thomas,
Don Benassi, Jim Hannam), Shopping Spree (Don Stacey), Car raffle (No Chairperson, Ben Suva, Don Benassi plus help from Campbell
McDonald and Don Stacey), Pancake Breakfast (Paul Simpson), Newsletter (Bill Sullivan), Website (Felciano Marpa, Rick Moore),
Phone Committee (Peter McAllister), Parking Committee (TBA)
VII. Tenth Annual Christmas Raffle: Brother Don Stacey
· Held this year at Fortino’s 65 Mall Road on Sunday December 10th at 4:30 p.m.First prize is $1000 shopping spree.Tickets
are $2.00 each or $20 for package of ten (1800 tickets are printed)Tickets on sale October 10 to December 10 at 3:00 pm. Proceeds
will go to nine (9) community charities that our Council supports.
Motion- By Br. Don Stacey and seconded by Br. Jim Hannam that the proceeds from the Christmas Shopping Spree are designated
to the following 9 charities: Good Shepherd Missions, Community Living, Cancer Assistance, Stroke Support (Br. Chester Klus),
St. Vincent DePaul Christmas Food basket, Good Shepherd Food Basket programme, Salvation Army Christmas campaign, Neighbour
to Neighbour, Wesley Centre Christmas Dinner. Carried.
Motion- St. Margaret Mary Parish requires a final date for the Knights of Columbus 9553 December Social. Bill Sullivan
motioned to have the December Social on Tuesday December 5th, seconded by Jim Hannam. Carried
Motion - Betty Simon of CWL is organizing the Pornography campaign on buses. Michael Mascarenhas motioned to donate
$200 to the campaign, seconded by Eric Fobler. Carried
VIII. District Deputy –Br. John Stewart
· Accuracy of the membership list is very important. Financial Secretary has to keep the addresses of members up to date.
Knights of Columbus will supply software free of charge for managing the membership roster.
· Ontario State requires feedback from Council 9553 on the new Executive and some outstanding paperwork.
· Ontario State is challenging each Council member to find one new member. Each member should carry a Form 100.
· Council 9553 1st Degree Team needs to be reviewed. There is no Council in the area that has a 1st and 2nd Degree Team.
· An Officers Workshop will be held in Niagara Falls Council 1652 by Ont State Brother Grant Earl on October 14 from 9 am
to noon. Training will be for Grand Knight, Deputy Grand Knight, Chancellors and Trustees.
· The annual Life Chain will be held again at McMaster, Upper James and Centennial Pkwy on October 1 at 2:30 p.m.
· The Definition of Marriage legislation ‘Card Signing” campaign is not effective as MPs do not acknowledge them.
A letter that is hand written and signed gets more attention.
IX. Good of the order: Elio Berardi
X. Adjournment – 9:00 p.m.