Knights of Columbus Council 9553  
back to  Executive Officers

Membership Procedures

1. NEW MEMBER - The Initiation of new members is to be reported promptly to the supreme Council office on the membership Document Form #100. No purpose is served in holding membership applications after the First Degree, especially since Second and Third Degree dates are not recorded at the Supreme Council office. It Is the First Degree that establishes membership, and It Is the recording of that degree which ultimately is required to continue new Insurance applications in force. It is recommended, therefore, that the Form #100 be completed and forwarded within 24 hours of the Initiation ceremony.
All candidates must accept or decline the Insurance offer -m-Section 5 on the front of the Form #100. If the candidate is married, he must do the same for his wife. If the Insurance offer is declined for both parties, the original copy of the Form #100 is sent directly to the Supreme Council office and the duplicate is sent to the general insurance agent. The council copy is retained for local council records.
If the candidate accepts the Insurance offer, he completes the seven sections on the reverse side of the original copy of the Form #100. If the candidate's wife accepts the Insurance offer, she completes the eight sections on the reverse of the duplicate copy. Note that the candidate must sign as applicant for insurance on his wife. For legibility, the duplicate copy of the Form #100 should be detached before the wife completes the reverse side. The financial secretary collects from the candidate or the proposed $50.00 for annual premium or $25.00 for semi-annual premium for each proposed insured. The financial secretary shall retain all copies of the Form #100 and the premium payments until the candidate receives his First Degree.
Immediately following the First Degree, the financial secretary will send to the general insurance agent both the original and duplicate copies of the Form #100, the premium payments, and the general agent copies of Transmittal Form #175FS. This is done if I
10 the general agent.) The council copy of the Form #100 and the financial secretary copy of the Transmittal Form #175FS are retained for council records.
2. JUVENILE TO ADULT - Juvenile to adult constitutes a specific category of new member transaction, and the preceding section applies to this transaction as well. An applicant for membership who holds an in-force insurance policy issued while he was under 18 years of age is to be processed as a juvenile to adult transaction. The juvenile policy number is to be included on the Form #100. If the prospect applies for membership prior to his nineteenth birthday, the maximum initiation fee that can be charged is $5.00.
3. REINSTATEMENT. This transaction can be used if membership termination has been for a period of three months or less. To reinstate his membership, the applicant pays to the financial secretary of his former council all arrearages, whereupon the financial secretary shall notify the Supreme Council office on a Form #100. Reinstatements can only take place in the council from which the member was suspended or took a withdrawal. A reinstatement will not reflect a break in membership. No council action is required.
4. READMISSION - This transaction is appropriate if membership termination has been for a period of more than three months and up to seven years. The applicant may be readmitted in any council of his choice provided that the council action, which is required, is favourable. No action is required of the admission committee. He may do so in two ways:

And If he left his former council with a withdrawal card, he merely attaches the card to his Form #100 and pays only future dues (quarter annual minimum).

B) If he was suspended from his former council for failure to pay his dues, it will be required that he pay $7.50 in lieu of all arrearages. The financial secretary will forward the Form #100 to the Supreme Council office which, if two councils are involved, will charge the receiving council $7.50 and credit the former council a like amount. Please note that no monetary adjustment is made when a member readmits into his former council. Further, when a member is seeking readmission into his former council and his arrearages total less than $7.50, he is to be charged the actual amount of the arrearages.

Years of membership prior to suspension or the date of withdrawal, unless It Is the twenty-five years of consecutive membership required, do not count toward the requirements for honorary or honorary life membership.
5. REACTIVATION - The laws provide for an inactive insurance member suspended for nonpayment of dues to reactivate his membership for a $5.00 fee. If the member left the Order with a withdrawal card, no fee is required. Years of membership prior to suspension of the date of withdrawal unless it is the twenty-five years of consecutive membership required, do not count toward the requirements for honorary or honorary life membership.
6. REAPPLICATION. This transaction is to be used if the applicant has been terminated for a period of more than seven years. The former member makes application to the council of his choice by paying not more than $7.50, monies that will be kept by the new council. A reapplication is treated like a new member application except: he need not take his degrees if he satisfies the admission committee to that effect, he does not pay an initiation fee, and he is not eligible for the new member insurance plan. If the applicant is in possession of a withdrawal card, he attaches this card to his Form #100 and pays only future dues (quarter-annual minimum). Years of membership prior to suspension or the date of withdrawal, unless It Is the twenty-five years of consecutive membership required, do not count toward the requirements for honorary or honorary life membership. Because of this fact, the council is responsible for supreme and state-levied assessments and also receives the annual $9.00 credit, as explained in the preceding section.
7. TRANSFER - A member in possession of a current membership card may transfer to any council of his choice by making application on a Form #1 00. The receiving council accepts the application for transfer under the elective procedures. Please note that only the receiving council initiates a transfer. Members cannot be transferred out of a council. It is suggested that the financial secretary of the receiving council estimate any arrearages the applicant may owe his former council and collect this amount (if any) in addition to the required advance dues.

Upon receipt of the transfer application, the Supreme Council office will immediately transfer the applicant to the new council and advise the former council of the effective date on an Account Adjustment for Transfer Form #142 (dues adjustment) in triplicate.

The financial secretary of the former council will enter degree information, annual dues, date to which the dues were paid, and the credit or past due balance. Following completion. The appropriate copy is retained for council files and the remaining two copies returned to the Supreme Council office.

Upon receipt of the completed Form #142, the Supreme Council office will charge or credit the former council and enter an offsetting charge or credit to the receiving council. The new council copy of the Form #142 is then mailed to the financial secretary of the receiving council. He will adjust the account of the transferee and record degree dates and other membership information on the ledger card.
8. WITHDRAWAL - A withdrawal card can be issued to a member in good standing in the Order who desires to terminate his membership. (Withdrawals cannot be issued to members who are in arrears in regard to dues payment or who are not in communion with the Holy See.) Possession of a withdrawal card will permit the member to reenter the Order without having to pay back dues or additional fees. If the applicant for a withdrawal card is an insurance member, he will be recorded as an inactive insurance member and will remain in that status on the council roster as long as his insurance is in force. Please note that a council continues to be responsible for Supreme and state council assessments on Inactive Insurance members. However. A $9.00 credit is applied to the council's account the month following the anniversary date of the member's insurance policy to offset such assessments.

Upon receipt of a withdrawal application in the Membership Department, a withdrawal card is issued to the financial secretary for presentation to the member, and the council's account is charged 50 cents for each card. Those members who apply for and are granted a withdrawal card do not maintain   continuous membership. The membership record will reflect a break, the same as if the member had been suspended.
9. SUSPENSION - NONPAYMENT - Section 168, Paragraph 3 of the laws of the Order states that a member must be in arrears at least three months before he can be suspended for nonpayment. Because this category of suspensions represents the largest group of losses to our Order each year, it is of vital importance that proper billing procedures be followed before active membership is terminated by suspension. Please refer to page 33
10. DEATH - As soon as possible after the death of a council member, a Form #100 is to be completed and submitted to the Supreme Council office for processing. It is imperative that the date of death and survivor information be included on the Form #100. Death notices received at the Supreme Council office within six months of the date of death will enable the supreme knight to write to the survivor, expressing condolences on the death of the member. Notices received in excess of six months following the actual date of death are not considered timely; the supreme knight's condolence letter is not sent in these instances.
11. DISABILITY - RELIEF FROM PAYMENT -Those brother Knights who are unable to engage in any occupation for a period of at least six months may apply for waiver of dues under Section 118(e) of the Order's laws. Evidence of total disability must be furnished to the Supreme Council office, along with Form #1831 - Application for Relief from Payment of Council Dues and Supreme and State Council Per Capita Charges. The Form' #1831 must be signed by the disabled member, the grand knight, financial secretary and district deputy. All disability waivers expire on December 31 of each year and must be renewed during the 90 days prior to expiration. A letter is sent from the Supreme Council office requesting confirmation of continued disability during October and must be signed by the grand knight, financial secretary and district deputy. The letter is then to be returned directly to the supreme secretary's office.

Disabled members appear on the January, April, July and October council billing statements with an asterisk (*) preceding their names. Indicating a credit for per capita or Catholic advertising charges.

Council members who are exempt from dues payment under Section 118(e) are to be issued a membership card (Form #154) on a calendar year basis the case of a member qualified for exemption under both Sections 118(e) and 118(d) - honorary life - the honorary life designation takes precedent. Should a member of your council on disability exemption qualify for honorary life, a Form #100 should be submitted requesting the latter classification,

Specific guidelines pertaining to application for and renewal of relief under Section 118(e) appear on page 0-30 of the Financial Secretary Handbook.

ADDITIONAL PROCEDURES - Procedures for additional membership transactions - honorary/honorary life; data changes; suspension for non-practical Catholicity, felony conviction and misconduct - can be found in Section 0 of the "Financial Secretary Handbook."

Yvon Robert, State Advocate


When does-a-member fail to be a practical Catholic in union with the Holy See?

We, as laymen, are not qualified to make the judgment as to whether or not someone is a practical Catholic.  That judgment must be made by a priest or bishop.  Whenever there are circumstances that call into question the possibility that Mr. X is no longer a practical Catholic, we as Knights of Columbus are not qualified to make that judgment and must bring the facts to the attention of either the pastor of the parish of which the individual is a member or to the Council Chaplain.  'These members of the clergy should review all of the facts and make the judgment as to whether that particular person is no longer a practical Catholic, regardless of our opinion about Mr. X's behaviour.

When a written determination by a priest, a Council Chaplain, the pastor of the parish or the bishop of the diocese, has been received that a brother knight is not a practical Catholic, the Grand Knight will inform the member, in writing, that his membership has been forfeited and the Financial Secretary will send a Form 100 along with a copy of the clergy determination and the letter to the member indicating forfeiture of membership in accordance with Section 168(l).

Are members allowed to vote?

Absentee ballot and proxy ballot are prohibited.  This has been a ruling of the Order for decades. Therefore, in order to vote you have to be present at the meeting of a Council or Assembly. The issue is voting not being nominated for a position

Does a nominated member have to be present at the time of the vote to be elected?

If someone is nominated for an office and has indicated that he would stand for election and accept the position if elected, he need not be there on the election night.  If someone is nominated but is not present at the nomination, he must advise the Grand Knight, in writing, of his willingness to stand for the election and accept the position if elected. Again he need not be present on election night.

What if an officer of a Council is not attending in a regular basis?

This matter is to be referred to the District Deputy or the State Deputy for action under Section 92-b, which gives only the DD or the SD the authority to remove an officer.